So today it's really hit me, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty discouraged with food allergies. I weighed myself this morning, and between my divorce and my food allergies in the past 15 months, I've lost 18 pounds...ok, yay for losing weight! That's the bright side :) However, I think I have made myself sensitive to almond flour. So I *cannot* eat almond flour or almond butter for the next 5 months and will have to retest to see if it's now a true allergy or not. But I've eaten those almond flour muffins I made from the Paleo cookbook, and am incredibly uncomfortable. I tested several times to see if that was what was causing the pain and oh yah. It was. Super super bummed.
I made fish tacos from that book...they were tasty...but I wonder if my version of tasty is what others would like. I made that carrot temulade and while it was good hot, it's not as good cold. People have been making fun of me - in love - at work, and I can totally handle it b/c it's funny, but even my boss grimaced when he tried it b/c of the texture.
I'm single and recipes call for mass quantity and I can't always break it down. So I eat fish tacos for several meals. But I can't keep eating the same thing - I need more variety - so that I don't develop sensitivities. But how do I do that and eat everything up before it goes bad? And still afford it?
Saturday I'm going snowshoeing. I'm tired of trying to figure out foods that I can pack - whether it is for a flight somewhere or for an outdoor adventure - that won't spoil, won't mash, won't require a microwave or a fork, aren't over 3oz's for the plane, are somewhat tasty, and VARIETY (dreaded word there, again).
Anyways, I think I'm sleep deprived so everything looks worse when I'm tired. Just sharing that it kinda sucks and I'm frustrated today.
PLUS food prep takes FOREVER now. Like, I had to make my own mayonnaise so it had things I could eat. Ok maybe vegannaise would work but I didn't have any.
I took my mentee out tonight but I had eaten those muffins so I felt pretty crummy...so that affected my time with her :-/ She was gracious but I mean, ugh.
And then I feel embarassed b/c it's so forefront of my brain, and not on others' so when I talk about it, I feel like I'm so consumed with food and eating and recipes that it's dull to others. So I have to learn how to process on my own and only share minor chunks to not bore others.
Ok that is what is going on in my brain :) Tomorrow will be better. I'm thankful I live in a place where I can get a variety of foods and have a job that allows me to afford these and to afford experimenting with foods. God's still taking care of me :)
Ugh I totally understand about the quantity thing... cooking for 1 is hard! You want enough for a few leftovers but not so much that this is all you will be eating for the next month! I will help you with what I can :) give me a few ingredients you know you can have and I'll see what I can do. Like is there any flour you can have that is left? And can you have black beans, avocados, garlic, cilantro, and coconut milk? Because there is a Mexican food adventure going on in my kitchen this Sunday, and if the answer to the above is YES than I would love to share it with you! :)
ReplyDelete