Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Romaine Lettuce

I feel like I'm back to square one, in that my nutritionist talks and I comprehend about 10% of what she says...I mentioned to her tonight how I had a salad and then instantly bloated and got the runs. She checked me, and I have an immune reaction to Romaine Lettuce. Who would think?! So that means that is off my list for good.

So I didn't quite understand the difference between immune reaction and allergy and sensitivity. Basically, Immune is the worst...your body is attacking itself when you eat this substance and it can lead to other immune disorders (lupus, diabetes, RA, etc).

I'm contemplating going to school to become a nutritionist now...this is fascinating...She checked my clearance for eggs, which held. I told her how i ate the scones and felt yucky, and she went down my recipe book for the ingredients in the scones, and my body doesn't like grapeseed oil! I love that I can feel instantly when something isn't right.

I'm going to take two blood tests that will help me with more info. One will check cross-reactive substances. So for instance, if I know I'm allergic to gluten, but my body is treating quinoa like gluten, but I'm not avoiding quinoa b/c I think it's fine, I just don't realize that my body internally is still causing inflammation and fighting quinoa. So Ill never fully be fixed if I'm eating items that are cross-reactive.

The second test will determine where my body holds the autoimmune aspects of inflammation. For my doctor, it's her ovaries, which explains why she has really bad periods. If she eats something bad that month, it'll manifest itself in her menstrual cycle. So that makes her being even stricter with what she eats. I think, for me, that it has to be something with my muscles/joints. Those are weak and painful for me. She mentioned that it can take months to get gluten totally out of my system.

She said that I feel reactions immediately to what I eat b/c I've reset my immune system. Seventy percent of my immune system is in my intestines. Once those are not inflamed anymore, it can work as it's designed to...and therefore tell me immediately when it doesn't like something I put in my body.

this is just totally fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment