I pulled myself up by my bootstraps...and tripped. Apparently I can have buckwheat, which doesn't have any wheat in it at all. Go figure. So I bought some at the grocery store and this fine Sunday afternoon I decided it'd be a great time to experiment trying to make something - ANYTHING - with buckwheat. Who knew how hard it would be to find a recipe without gluten, dairy, oats, any other type of flour, or eggs... Right. So, finally stumbled upon a pancake recipe...in place of the eggs, I made "flax eggs"...instead of baking powder I used baking soda...left out the vanilla...but everything else, including the coconut milk, went straight in. Batter looked great, nice and fluffy. Poured me some coconut oil into the pan, heated it up, and thought I'd make a pancake! Got pretty excited about this...
Lookin pretty...
Okay um, maybe looking burnt but this is maybe just what buckwheat looks like when it's cooked right? Spread on some agave nectar and got very excited for this...
You ever been in one of those smoky lounges? Dark, seedy looking place from the 70's? Ok me neither but I've been in hotel rooms that smell like smoke and plenty of other places that just reek of cigarette smoke. Try making that smell a taste.Remember when you played in the dirt as a kid, and thought it'd be fun to taste your mud creation? Sure. Add that to the smokey taste.
On top of that, imagine really fine potato mush, all granular and gritty and blah tasting.
Sure, combine all those tastes and textures, and that was what my buckwheat pancake tasted like!!!!!!
I tried several bites. Figured maybe I'd gotten the first taste wrong. Maybe it needed MORE agave to mask the terrible taste. Maybe I just unknowingly burnt the first one! So I made three tiny more pancakes.
Hate to say it, but this past hour has been a total and complete epic failure. I really want pancakes now. And I'm throwing out all of these and the rest of the batter. And brushing my teeth because I have the nastiest taste EVER in my mouth!
So long, buckwheat. Guess I'm just down to quinoa for a grain...
No comments:
Post a Comment