Yesterday I slaved in the kitchen, trying new recipes from my paleo cookbook. Carrot Temulate (shredded carrots sauteed with garlic, then pureed with coconut milk, ginger, thyme and some eggs and then baked); brussels sprouts slaw with bacon and pecans; almond flour muffins made with shredded carrots and blueberries and raisins.
Ok. So. One, it was a lot of work, but I'm sure I'll get quicker. Too...since I can't eat apples anymore, I can't use apple cider vinegar, which is what the slaw called for. Let me just say, do NOT sub red wine vinegar. Oh geesh. Now I have a whole bowl of not-so-exciting slaw :) the idea was great...just too tangy!!
Muffins were delicious, tho I ate 4 and started hurting. was that too much fruit? Have I had too much almond butter so can't handle almond flour? Or should I just not eat 4 at once ;) I'm experimenting today - I just ate three. Mighta been hungry b/c I couldn't eat all my lunch. If I look at one more sausage and seaweed noodle dish, I think I might just throw up...
The carrot dish... welll, it was great hot. not as great cold. And let's say my friends...at work...took great joy making fun of me with that one :) I was excited and had my friend sniff it. She nearly gagged. Which made my preggo friend decide there was NO way she was going to try "carrot paste". My boss thought he'd be game for it, but he's open to weird food. So I started thinking hm, maybe my taste buds are desperate.
Or, I'll think of it as they are SO REFINED now that they only can handle the highest quality of natural food...
HAHA
I'm waiting for my avocados to ripen so I can make stuffed avocado with tuna salad, and then cook up some cod for fish tacos :) That'll be tomorrow.
It's socially hard...Tonight I have a video discussion for my mentoring program and everyone will be eating Chipotle. Guess at least I don't have to worry about having black beans in my teeth. I've been invited to Happy Hour next week. I miss out on other social get togethers b/c someties it just really sucks to sit there and not be able to eat or drink what everyone else is having. And sometimes, I just really get tired of gnoshing on a sweet potato, which is like the only portable snack I can think of that won't spoil. Sigh. I'm sure I'll get more creative eventually. Once I know my full list.
In the meantime...I'm cooking salmon for dinner and have figured out that the George Foreman grill is my BFF, and garlic powder, onion powder, salt and olive oil are a terrific combination...since,you know, my taste buds are highly refined ;)
HAHA refined taste buds... love it! You really are doing amazing Cathy! I am so encouraged that you can keep an upbeat attitude through all of this. It's amazing :) I am glad you have found things like a GF grill and garlic powder to keep you company. Good luck with everything! Also you should ask about the rotating diet thing... I've heard of that working for some people. I know that there's a part of you that just thinks hey if I'm going to react then I shouldn't eat any of it (or at least there is for me) but at the same time, it hits a point where the list of "no-nos" is just getting too long. It's worth asking at least. Good luck! Love you!!
ReplyDelete