Sooo I think I gave myself leaky gut again - my hands and feet were cramping last week, so I decided I'd put myself back on the repair diet for 5 days. Saturday I blew it and got tea at Starbucks - I thought I ordered the one that doesn't have "natural flavors" but I was wrong :-/ So I told myself, deep breath, start tomorrow. This will keep me warm after soaking myself snowshoeing and having a 2 hour drive home... At least everything else in my diet was right.
So then it is today. Where I started off the morning going to urgent care because I had blood in my urine this weekend and decided (thanks Mom!) I had a bladder infection for the first time ever. However, the doctor says, I don't see blood in your urine, but I see increased Lychocytes (or whatever) that indicate an infection, so I'll write you a prescription for the infection and one to take away the pain. I was like whoooa there Sparky, don't need too many meds, so no thank you to the pain med, b/c Im not that in pain.
Then I started thinking, darn, now I'm going to be taking meds, that's probably not going to help my leaky gut...the doctor mentioned something about the meds doing basically what cranberry juice does...so I ran it by my friend who is a registered dietician, and she suggested drinking the cranberry juice three times a day. I got the all natural, no sugar added stuff - whewww tart!! And will try that to see if things clear up on their own.
But cranberries aren't on the 5 day diet b/c they're not low glycemic :-/ so therefore, today, I blew it again. HOWEVER, I thought, this is less "blowing it" than taking meds...
So then in my consolation, I thought, well if I've already blown it, lets give into the intense sugar craving I've been having like crazy this weekend. So I might have eaten two granola bars (yes, had nuts :-/). So, fail...but tomorrow is another day? :(
The one really good thing to come from this today, is I rediscovered that I have garbanzo bean flour in my pantry. So I thought, wonder how I can cook with this? I stumbled on this website:
http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/breakfast/my-favorite-garbanzo-bean-recipes/
And today, I made this:
http://www.thisglutenfreelife.org/2011/03/chickpea-farinata-bread.html
It's a bread made from garbanzo beans. WOW. Either I'm super desperate, or that stuff is really delicious!! Wasn't quite as satisfying as the chocolate cupcakes the website has, but it was really delicious actually, and I will totally be making it again. :)
So, happy news - I've discovered another medium with which to cook!
Just wanted to say that I was so glad to come across your blog! I have leaky gut and possible SIBO.
ReplyDeleteI have 7 autoimmune diseases (I am 37) including myasthenia gravis, rheumatoid arthritis, POTS, fibromyalgia, raynaud's, asthma, cachexia and celiac disease.
I have started eating a strict paleo diet with low FODMAPs and I still get bloated. I hate trying to figure out what food is the culprit. Like you, I hate obsessing over everything that goes in my mouth. BUT, I am praying this helps. My doctor said that healing my intestines should help control my autoimmune diseases. I was on chemo shots for 8 weeks which totally destroyed my intestines even more and now I am working my way back to getting them to come back alive. They are working a bit again thank goodness.
I also am a believer and a missionary and have been a missionary to the Navajo and also have been to Venezuela. I am not sure I can do it anymore as my health is bad and my years according to my doc are shortened. I know it is all in God's hands and I just want healed. Living in constant pain every day is so hard, but I lean on Him. I truly feel that if we can get my intestines healed, I will be so much better. Thank you for sharing your journey :)
Stephanie - wow... I'm so glad you came across my blog and I hope it helps you feel like you're not alone!! That's a lot of stuff for you to be handling...Definitely a great opportunity for you to trust God...but discouraging and disheartening if that means you have a new direction to take for your life path... Take heart tho..God will still use you, even if it is in another direction than you anticipated.
DeleteI'm so sorry about the chemo shots wrecking your intestines. I understand how miserable you feel, and overwhelmed and frustrated when you have to watch everything that goes in your mouth, and get discouraged when you keep hurting or being affected by food. It takes away from the joy of eating, and the social joy from eating with others. Makes you want to cry in the grocery store and beg the hospital to just IV you up so you can make it through.
You're not alone...As you change your diet, I really think you'll start noticing some difference with your body... Are you in the US right now or overseas? If you need suggestions for some really good recipes - I've finally found a few ;) Let me know!! Also - sauerkraut is a natural probiotic - if you can stomach eating it raw ;) that'd be a good way to get some healthy stuff back into your intestines - just a thought!!:)
Stephanie - another thought..I don't know if you'll even get these responses, but if you do, I'd love to tell you about the supplemental powder I take that has the natural herbs and minerals to heal leaky gut...I'm not sure what you're taking, but this has definitely helped...In the meantime, I'll be praying for you!
DeleteThanks :) I do take probiotics. I am speaking with a holistic doctor and he has me taking l-glutamine, natural calm, aloe, b-vitamins, and a powerful antioxidant called astaxanthin. I know it will get better, but this "detoxing" time is yucky. I have had a headache for 6 days :(
DeleteI am in the US right now. My husband and son were in the Dominican this winter. I have not been back on the mission field since a year ago last October and I went into an MG crisis right after we got back and I went into the hospital. The MG is much better and haven't had another crisis or issues lately :)
I would love to hear what supplement you are taking.
Yuck to a 6 day old headache! That's killer!! When I detoxed, I went off of coffee cold turkey - I only had one cup a day, black, but I got a migraine and threw up, it was so bad, and had to go to bed for 11 hours. So I hear you :( At least your body is getting rid of the bad...which is what I'm assuming the headache is saying...
DeleteThe supplements I'm taking are by Apex Energetics. The Repairvite I take for 5 days to heal the leaky gut, in conjunction with eating a diet with nothing inflammatory (meaning, grass fed organic meats, or wild caught fish, vegetables, and low-glycemic fruits; challening, but doable for 5 days). That's crucial - nuts, beans, grains (quinoa), tomatoes/eggplant/peppers (nightshades) all have inflammatory properties also, so stay away from those. Then I take ClearVite which gives me the nutrients I need, in pure form. I'm actually taking both now, now that I've been through the month detox and gotten myself very sensitive to my body and what I can/can't eat. I need to put myself back on to the repair vite diet b/c I've eaten something that gave me leaky gut again. But I love these supplements and feel like they are very helpful :) So, just more fodder to think about ;)
Wow..those are expensive. I am eating paleo with low FODMAPs and also no nighshades. I am still miserable. I think the l-glutamine may be giving me the migraine. I hope not. Trying to wait this out.
DeleteExpensive...yah...but they can act as a breakfast meal replacement, last about a month, and I think it's cheaper than going to the doctor all the time :-/ But just keep that as a thought in your mind in case you get to a place where you want to try them.
ReplyDelete