Sunday, February 24, 2013

Extended Travel, with food allergies

ok...so I travelled to California this past week for 5 days, with food allergies. And I didn't die of starvation. Helps that 1) my mom supports me with eating the right way and 2) that I stayed in someone's house with a microwave and oven.

I only caused major drama once, much to my embarassment.... the restaurant that all 15 of us were eating at served old fish, which was really stinky. Fish isn't supposed to smell, and when my cousin who ordered the same thing leaned over to me and mentioned how it smelled like the dog's breath at the house we were staying at, I laughed so hard I cried. But then really couldn't eat the fish. I tried one bite. But it was disgusting. The vegetables had nothing on them. Solely steamed. Ok, I asked for that...but like, I dumped clearly not enough salt on them, and they were still flavorless. I didn't mean to make a big stink, but it turned into one, and I returned my plate of food. I ate when I got home.

I found that I ate every few hours b/c I didn't know when I would eat next...so in this case, that was good, since I had just eaten a few hours before.

It was torturous tho, since the reason for travel was my grandma's passing...So people brought all sorts of delicious-smelling foods and desserts to the house. My willpower was tested and I might have felt very annoyed and frustrated at times that I have food allergies :( But it was short lived - I'm home now, back in my routine, and I'm glad I didn't cave and suffer the pain and have to start all over.

I missed my Vitamix to blend up the pea protein shakes I had twice a day...but I still drank them...I was very glad I had cooked up tons of quinoa ahead of time - that became a staple, with black beans and avocados and some zucchini. I cooked up sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash, and devoured uh, maybe a jar and a half of almond butter with granny smith apples (major weakness). So I ate :)

Astonishing realization today - I had bought two large cans of tuna for the week - and was going to take them home when I read the label...who would think that you would have to read the label of tuna that says "Tuna in water"...but apparently it's tuna, water, salt, and vegetable broth that is soy based...which I can't have soy (it's GMO) soo there went that deceptive tuna! (You're welcome Becca! ;))

Anyways, I survived a 5 day trip, still on track with my diet. Several cousins have different food allergies/intolerances/experiments, so by the end of the week, we all decided we were SO over talking about food. It came up so often b/c it's a common ground that we're all working on understanding..but we hashed it out so much, there was nothing left to hash out..

Half way through this 21 day diet. Can't wait...cannnn nooooot waaaait :) But I'm feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment